.----------------- Milestone 1 ------------------. [ v0.1 ] [ v0.2 ] [ v0.3 ] [ v1.0 ] [ .... ] ^ ^ ^ ^ Jan 2 Jan 16 Jan 30 Feb 13
A milestone is a group of sprints that work toward a common goal. Before a milestone begins, the team must decide on things in this list:
- Mission - a goal that this milestone release is meant to achieve.
- Required features - features that must be in the final version.
- Optional features - nice-to-have features that may be culled if time is short.
- Projection - an estimate of how many sprints are needed to accomplish this milestone.
For most projects, the first milestone is the minimum viable product, or the MVP. The specifics for Milestone 1 should be decided on in the project's planning phase. Here's an example milestone plan:
Milestone plan example
Build a blog platform with the bare-minimum features to be used on George's blog.
- Article writing and publishing
- Blog view (list and view articles)
- Support for images
- Simple commenting support
- Multi-user login
- Spam detection
- Sprint v0.1: Basic framework, UI
- Sprint v0.2: Basic feature implementation
- Sprint v0.3: Support for Amazon S3, RSS, responsive fixes
- Minimum viable product (wikipedia.org)
Next: Kick off development work with sprint zero.